Sunday, January 24, 2021

Week Three of the First Six Weeks

Week Three of the First Six Weeks.  We are three weeks in to our first six weeks which is focused on "getting ready to train".  Does that mean we can say we are halfway there?  This week was really uneventful.  If you will be following this for the full 24 weeks, there might be some weeks exactly like the last one.... pretty boring.  But in good news, I got all of my miles in.  During the week (and usually while running) I usually think of something to focus on or reflect on.  Not much on my mind this week although I have thought a few times "will I really be able to run 26.2 miles?"  I shut down that negative talk pretty quickly but I do know it will likely come back up as training progresses.


How the week went....... miles for the week 3-3-4.  It has been pretty cold here - like single digits!  I have ran outside more this past winter than in my entire life.  I have braved the weather more and have started to learn how to get my leg muscles to function with the cold.   The roads have been pretty rough lately.  It was warm last week, it rained and then everything froze again and it is really cold.  I am a bit too nervous to run on the ice so treadmill for the win this week.  


Dressing for the weather.....  I have figured out most of my cold weather running attire.  Lined leggings, headband, neck cover, jacket with hand coverings (it is pretty cool).  What I haven't figure out yet is this whole base layer thing.  What is everyone wearing for a long sleeve shirt?  Are the $80 ones worth it?  I am all about investing in solid running gear - but if someone could tell me the best option for a base layer shirt, that would be great.  Message me at long_run_calybeal on Instagram with your sales pitch for cold weather long sleeved running shirts.  And by cold I mean Northern Wisconsin in January/February/March cold.  So cold it hurts to be outside.  Like that cold.

Photo highlights from the week.......

This was after one of my indoor treadmill runs this week.  I have pretty close to a full gym in my basement with a treadmill, elliptical, spin bike, rower, TRX, and weights..... however, I joined the local gym to get out of the house with Liz during this pandemic.  Yep, have a gym and joined a gym.  Sad.  I can't wait for life to return to whatever our new normal will be.  Anyway, the gym is usually pretty hot.  This was the result of running with my hair in a bun (ok and maybe not washing it for a few days).  If I knew in the 80's that this hair could happen with running, I could have saved tons of time curling my hair and using Aquanet ;)
 
I did work on hydration this week.  This photo has been my daily routine.  Water, electrolytes, and bullet proof coffee.  I used to start my day with a diet coke.  My gut was really starting to pay for it.  To be clear, I have NOT given up my diet soda and don't plan to (small things in life that are important to hold on to) but I have made the goal to not crack open that first soda until have I finished at least one bottle of water and my electrolytes.  We will call that balance :) 

Maybe this is why I run.  I love to eat.  Period.  I am still working on the weight during this six weeks and have been doing pretty good.  Small rewards here and there versus eating non stop.  My teenagers had some friends over for movie night.  I made these, had ONE, then gave the rest of the pan to them.  I had run four miles at a sprinting pace a few hours earlier.  Small reward for me, teenagers who enjoyed a snack, let's call that a win win.
 Look at that flushed face.  Best feeling ever.  This was after my weekend four mile treadmill run.  I read a blog post on another site this past week that asked "what do you consider your long run".  I scrolled through the comments and noticed most people saying... over 7, over 8, etc.  YIKES.  A few other people said it depended on what they are training for.  I was like....um, long run.... over three miles.  LOL.  I have trained for multiple half marathons so I have had those long runs well over 7-8 miles, but right now - anything over 3 is a long run for me.  With most plans, the weekend is for the long run.  This weekend my long run was 4.  Ideally, the long run you work on consistent pace.  Think longevity.  This body has to make it through 26.2 miles.  That is not sprinting, that is pacing.  This weekend's long run I worked on sprints.... yes, I know, that is for the midweek runs but for some reason, I just felt like pushing it.  I ran 30-60 second sprints at all sorts of paces - most faster than I have ran in forever.... which led to the flushed face here.  Throughout the plan I will make sure to work on weekend long run pace.
Treadmill runs all week.  I actually don't mind them - but also can't wait for spring running which includes cool temperatures (not cold) and no humidity!

Fun highlight from the week - at home "free" pedicure.  I found the photo funny because in the background you can see my $20 pair of running socks.  Enjoyed a nice foot soak in the comfort of my own home..... but I won't cut corners on the running socks.  Smart Wool Ultra Light.  That is all I can wear.  How about you?  Only one pair that works?  Runners are weird.

The rest of the team made progress this week too.  Updated photo coming from Lou soon.  Liz ran indoors all week too so no outdoor running selfie of us together this week.  Michelle, we are hoping you are recovered this week and can get out there!  Jenn braved the elements and got outside.  I post a shoe photo on the treadmill and she has this great outdoor snow photo.  She got her weekend four mile run in outside and headed home for a sauna.  That sounds fantastic!  I will have to use my sauna after weekend runs, brilliant.  Jenn's post with the above photo..... "When I just wanted to stay cozy and warm on the couch this morning I thought of @jamesclear mantra 'Never miss twice'.  I didn't run last night because life got in the way, but I got out there today because I didn't want to miss twice.   A healthy lifestyle isn't about perfection - it is about finding balance that works for you."

Make that your goal for next week..... Don't Miss Twice!

That's it for this week.  A little lull in the deep thoughts.  3-3-5 this week for mileage.  See you outside or on the treadmill!
Carrie and the team


No comments:

Post a Comment