Sunday, January 31, 2021

Motivation Versus Discipline

Week Four of the First Six Weeks.  Monday I hopped on the treadmill and got my first three mile run of the week out of the way.  After that, the usual work and home "stuff" landed me busy the next few days and I drug my feet.  Then I read a post from an athlete friend of mine who totally changed my perspective.  It was exactly what I needed.....

For whatever reason, this post resonated with me.  I am very motivated to run this race.  I am motivated to work on my health, my nutrition, and my overall well-being.  However, motivation will only take you so far.  You have to be disciplined.  I will be motivated to run this marathon but discipline will make it actually happen.  The mind switch was very helpful this week.  Each night before bed, I used discipline to help me set up the following day for success.  I set out my water bottle, electrolytes and running clothes.  Big difference the next day when those were ready for me.  I also found discipline on my long run.  I had skipped a few days (the ones which I hadn't read her post yet) and my long run was hanging over my head with a weekend full of other fun plans.  Friday afternoon I headed outside for my first cold weather run in a couple of weeks.  I was planning on three miles but about one mile in I thought, get it done.  Have the discipline to just. get. it done.  So I did!  And because I was already on top of my hydration, an unplanned five miles went off without a hitch (well except for body glide, ya.... I need that for five miles.... another whole topic to discuss someday).  Thank you Jen for always inspiring others... this post will help shape the rest of my training!

 Almost all of my long runs are with Liz.  Friday she asked me if I could run and at the time, I couldn't.  Then my scheduled freed up, I had reached some mental overload from things happening around me, and I just needed to go.  A solo unplanned five miles put me back in the right headspace.  She had Jedi radar and text me while I was on the run, LOL.
 Our boys play high school hockey and had an afternoon weekend game.  Right after the game we stuck to our running plan and headed to the gym.  She loves these sneaky photos.  I got my last three mile for the week in and she powered through a treadmill five!  And because I feel I still need a mask disclaimer, we were alone here and are obviously in each other's bubble. No photo of Michelle yet (I promise one will be coming) but she is finally feeling better and hit the treadmill with Liz today!  Yeah, welcome back.

  Jenn's view for her outdoor five mile this week.  Running outdoors in the winter in Minnesota is no joke.  Way to get after it!
Ladies, we have a running photo of Lou! 

I am working on other ways to cross train, be active, and to enjoy the outdoors.  Earlier in the week I snow-shoed with these ladies who also love working hard outside.  We followed a pretty hilly three mile loop and it felt great.  Over the past several years I have lost 70 pounds (no joke, maybe I should write about that!) and before I lost weight, I would have never been able to do the simple things like snow shoe with friends.  Well maybe I could have, but would have been miserable.  These three miles were challenging and a breeze at the same time.

  Final cross training of the week - downhill skiing with my daughter and a large group of friends.  Wow, so much fun.  I haven't been skiing in over 15 years and was terrified.  I don't love heights, I am afraid of the chairlift (funny story there) and am afraid of hurting my hip.  I have had hip surgery in the past (actually from a running injury) and will write about that at some point.  I really was nervous all week about skiing.  I wasn't just exaggerating for attention, I was legit nervous.  But guess what, I showed up and did it.  Mostly because my daughter said mom, I want you to go.  Ok, no brainer, I have to go.  But I was scared.  Thankfully a friend and co-worker of mine was there and literally coached me on and off the chair lift and LITERALLY coached me down the hill.  There was one hill I was terrified of.  I was so scared and really just stood there and told her I was "so scared".  But I never said I can't do it.  I dug deep, followed her directions and did it.  Best feeling ever is accomplishment!  I might have the ski bug now and hope to go again... although I had 26.2 on my mind and seriously prayed all of my bones, ligaments, and muscles would remain intact, LOL.

Closing thoughts for the week - Shinedown is my favorite band (ok I have a few favorites but they are at the top of my list right now).  I have seen them in concert and their connection with the crowd is amazing.  I have several songs on my workout playlist.  This post also happened this week right around the time I read Jen's.  I have been really worried about the mental health of our youth during this pandemic (which any further debate on that will remain off my fun running motivational blog).... and then I saw this about midweek and it was like he was talking right to me.  Yep, Get Up and Get a Move on..... I played that song about 20 times at the start line of a previous half marathon.  He is right, let's move our mental and physical health forward and 
GET UP!


 Have a great week - 3/3/4 is the plan - along with some cross training and more deep thoughts.  PS.... hug your loved ones.  This is always true, but this week, hug them again.

Carrie and crew!

No comments:

Post a Comment