Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Week Two

Week two with some sun......  I am a little late on my weekly post.  I was in Arizona over the weekend visiting some friends.  It was a quick trip but nice to get away to enjoy some sun.  We were supposed to run 3-3-3-7 last week and we all got our miles in.  Because I was on vacation, I broke my long 7 mile into two 3.5 miles.  I get the point of the long run - endurance, fuel, hydration, longevity, etc.  But I also get the point of vacation!  I was thrilled I ran all three days while in Arizona for a total of ten miles.  I have plenty of time to work on long runs the next several months.


Each morning I headed outside by 7:30 am to get my miles in.  I took a new route each day and enjoyed the scenery.  It was actually a bit chilly when I would first leave but it didn't take long for the sun to warm up.  I can't wait until late spring running when it is warm outside but early enough in the year we haven't hit the humidity yet.  
In my excitement to be running in Arizona versus northern Wisconsin, I didn't even pack a long sleeve shirt to run in.  I pretty quickly noticed I was the only person out in the morning with a tank top on.  There were always active people out and about so I am not picking on these girls.... they are moving!!....... but it did make me giggle a little.  They had warm jackets and the one on the left had a warm head band and mittens on.  I thought immediately "these girls can't be from Wisconsin".  Of course as I ran by, they were probably thinking I was crazy for being "under-dressed" for the weather.  

My daughter is a big coffee lover and headed to Starbucks every morning.  On this trip, I actually asked her to get me something each day.  What a great post run treat that was!  I bet I didn't even burn enough calories on my run to cover the calories in the coffee.... but a huge win for me was being on vacation and not gaining one single ounce!  Goes to show.... hard work pays off.  I got up and ran every day while I was there, enjoyed some extra vacation calories and special treats, and didn't sabotage my progress 

I almost felt guilty posting my warm runs when looking at Jenn in the snow! Looks like we are turning the corner with the weather though and it should warm up and be good outside running this week.  Nice work Jenn.

Michelle powered through her seven miles on the treadmill!!!  That is pure dedication there.  Nice work Michelle!!!  And thank you to Liz who went into photo stealth mode while I was gone, you make me proud! 
Liz usually doesn't have to take a post workout selfie, I usually make her take one.  She posted this in our group chat while I was gone.  She conquered one of her three miles and then worked on some plank.  I see here she said this was not for the blog.... but later in the group chat she said she knew I would use it, so... here it is!  I think this is the best drill sergeant look ever.  GET IT DONE... planks are no joke :)

Lou got some outside cross training done this week too.  I think we should ask him to wear the unicorn helmet for his next run!

Another super fun unexpected team building this week.  I literally had zero intentions of getting my three miles in this evening.  I hard worked two long back-to-back shifts on campus with nursing students including a three hour round trip commute both days and just did not want to run.  Since we are increasing our miles to four days a week and Arizona was coming up, it would have made for a miserable rest of the week if I didn't run. Still, I just couldn't get the motivation to run - until I noticed the whole team had already logged miles for the week.  Ok fine, I ran.  One of my biggest pieces of running advice is find your running peeps.  I know many people prefer to run alone - and that is ok - we don't complete all of our runs together - but the accountability of a training partner/team has been priceless for me.  Since everyone had already logged their miles, I really had no excuse not to run.  I headed to the basement and was SO thankful they pushed me to run I had to video group message them.  It was actually pretty funny.  Lots of laughing and heavy breathing (gross, right??).  Folks, finding your running peeps... IT HELPS.

Pretty short and sweet this week since I am a bit late.  This week we have 3-4-3-5 and for our long run on the weekend, we have a very special event planned that I can't wait to share here!
 
Get out there,
Carrie and Crew


No comments:

Post a Comment