Sunday, April 10, 2022

Weekly Check-In April 10th

Another week in the books!  A few things on my mind this week.

Running - miles have been going good.  All of my three planned runs were accounted for this week and I even added an extra mile and a walk.  Last week the long run was six miles, this week it slid back to four miles to get ready for next week's seven miles.  "Going well" is a new perspective.  I thought I would be a little farther along with pace at this point.  First, pace doesn't matter.  It is not the end all be all, I know that.  I am moving.  Period.  But the past few years I have worked on increasing my pace - especially when I lost weight.  Recap.... I lost about 45 pounds right before COVID and has lost some weight prior to that so I was down about a total of 70 pounds over the past few years.  WOWZERS, running felt good.  Then COVID hit.  Newsflash.... weight gain happened.  I could go on and on why, but it doesn't matter.  I gained about 25 pounds back.  Not terrible, but not ideal.  My running has still been going well but I had to slow up a bit due to the lbs.

Pace - so where am I at?  When I started running about 10 years ago, I was at about a 13 minute mile, maybe even 14.  I remember when I got to around a 12 minute mile, I was so excited.  Then as I lost weight, I was running around a 10 minute mile for longer runs and was even at about a 9:40 for shorter runs.  I was SO impressed with myself.  Now that I am back up those few pounds (25 ugh).  It is a total mental game to be ok not running a 10 minute mile again.  BUT... I am still running.  45 year old busy working mom who kept running while earning a doctorate degree - I am still running.  So there's that.  And if I am really ok with pace, the slower time shouldn't matter.  A few weeks ago I was struggling a little bit.  Go out to fast, try to hit that 11 minute mile, tank soon, pain, followed by guilt.  Not a good pattern.  The past two weeks I have changed my mind set.  I have purposefully slowed down and now run my entire distance without walking and without being miserable.  My last few four milers have been right at a 12 minute mile.  I am good with that (for now).  And just to add...... I am a middle to back of the back runner and love the view back there.  To all runners, I am not judging your pace..... 14 minute mile and an 8 minute mile still run a mile.  I pay zero attention to other's pace.  For me, I use the pace as a benchmark and will shot to get back into the 10:30 range by mid-summer

Early Morning - the other thing on my mind has been early morning workouts.  My best running buddy is a morning person in general and likes to work out in the morning.  I don't even like to be out of bed in the morning.  I have NEVER been a morning person.  I have a hard time getting up and moving.  I am a night-owl so I stay up late - which makes mornings hard.  I have also had some struggles with mornings related to thyroid disease.  I have been stable in that area for a few years so it is getting a tad easier to get up.  Over the years I have maybe worked out a few times in the morning but nothing consistent.  Once I got into the NYC marathon, I have realized I need to take advantage of as many hours in my day as I can.  Last week, I went to bed a little earlier and got up at 6:00 am THREE times to work out!  That is a 100% improvement!  I have to admit, I did love later in the day knowing my work out was done.  On a day I wasn't planning on working out, I still woke up on my own before 6:00 am.  OMG what is happening to me?  I know this is a commitment I have to make in order to get all my workouts and runs in to prepare for 26.2.  Morning it is.

Weight Training -  the last thing on my mind is weight training.  I am trying to lose the 25 pounds I gained back and maybe even another 10.  I know where I need to be for nutrition and I know how to crush cardio with my runs.  What I have never mastered is weight training.  Of course I have read everything about weight training.  I know why it works.  But I just don't even know where to start.  Upper, lower, total body, sets, reps, blah blah blah. UGH.  The kicker... I have a full gym in my basement including all of the weights.  I just feel so overwhelmed.  This weekend, I finally took a deep dive and figured out a plan.  After reading several plans, I will commit to two upper body and two lower body works outs each week the next several weeks (not back to back).  I created a list of 15 different moves in each category and will rotate through a few of them each workout.  I plan 3 sets with 12 reps for about a 30-35 minute workout each.  Bonus.... tomorrow I plan to accomplish my first one at 6:00 am.  We will see how it goes and if the scale budges the next month.

Just a few photos this week.....

Weekend four mile run.  Look at that snow still!

I joined the Run with Aim group and this was our weekend challenge.  
All items accounted for!

I am a total spreadsheet geek.  Must be the teacher in me.  
I have this hanging in my work out room along with the list of exercises. 

Not a ton of photos this week but I have also posted almost daily - sometimes more - on my TikTok account (@calybeal).  I have fun making those silly videos - my teenagers just cringe when they see them, LOL

See you next week!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment